Application modernisation is widely accepted by all the reputable consultancy houses (Aberdeen, Butler, Forrester, Gartner) as one of the top three strategic imperatives to face IT for the next five to ten years.
In order to serve the market better, Edgetec and TEMBO Technology Lab (Pty) Ltd have entered into a strategic relationship to provide solutions in this environment. TEMBO as a company focuses exclusively on application modernisation.
Within the broader definition of Application Modernisation, TEMBO focuses on the following dimensions:
1. User Interface (UI), also defined as User Experience (UX) modernisation, which includes the extremely important "Multi-Channel" Support.
2. Database modernisation, which is underpinned by the move from DDS (Data Description Specifications) to DDL (Data Description Language), which is a generic SQL compliant definition of your database.
3. Design Recovery, with specific emphasis to extract the business rules from the underlying applications and to represent it in a format that can be used in future to re-architect or redevelop the application in any environment. It (the process) will normally provide this in XML and accepted diagrammatic formats, such as UML, etc.
4. SOA or service enablement of your back-end system, exposing relevant business function to customers and business partners. Of specific relevance (and the reason why SOA is identified as a separate dimension and not simply "wrapped" in the UI/UX paradigm) is the extension of these business functions and the impact that the "Cloud" will have on IT delivery mechanisms.
5. Extension of current LOB applications, by combining and leveraging existing systems with PHP and open systems technologies.